List of Documents for a Student Visa to Study at a German University
Check the website of the German embassy or consulate in your home country to find out the list of the documents for a student visa to study in a German university.
With an exception of several countries, most of the international students need to apply for a student visa before entering Germany. This is a very important point, please, do not make a mistake of travelling to Germany on a tourist visa. You will not be able to convert the tourist visa into a student visa. You have to submit a number of documents for a student visa to the German embassy or consulate in your home country.
Where do I apply for the student visa?
You will have to apply to a German embassy or consulate in your home country. If you don’t know where is the closest to your German embassy or consulate, then search the website of the Federal Foreign Office. It contains information about all German diplomatic missions.
What is the student visa?
The student visa is a special type of entry visa that allows to come to Germany with the pursuit to becomes a student in one of German universities.
There are two types of student visa for international students coming to Germany to study at German universities.
Student Visa (Visum Zu Studienzwecken). You need to apply for this visa, you have already been accepted to an university. You will need to submit your confirmation letter from a German university.
Student Applicant Visa (Visum Zur Studienbewerbung). There is another English translation – Perspective Student Visa . You will need to apply for this visa in following situations:
- if you are still waiting for your letter of acceptance from the university, but there is not much time left before the semester starts. You can wait in Germany for the confirmation of admission or apply to different university.
- maybe you are still have not decided where you want to study, that’s why yo want to travel to Germany to check out the best universities yourself .
- your university requires all applicants to pass an entrance examination in person and you need to travel to German ahead of examination.
Student Applicant Visa is valid for three months. Afterwards it can be extended by six months if you are accepted to an university or enrol in a foundation course (Studienkolleg).
Both these visas can be converted into residence permits when you are in Germany.
What are the documents for a student visa that I need to submit to the German embassy or consulate?
On the website of the German diplomatic mission in your country you will find the exact list of documents for student visa application, including the downloadable application form. The documents requirement for visa applications may differ between countries, so make sure you check what is requested by the German diplomatic mission in your country.
In general, the list of documents for the student visa application will include:
- Visa application form – download it from the website of the German diplomatic mission in your country
- Valid passport
- Health insurance certificate
- German Language proficiency certificate
- Letter of acceptance from your university
- University entrance qualification
- A health certificate (in some countries)
- Proof of financial resources
How much money do I need to have to apply for the student visa to Germany?
You will need to demonstrate that you have at least 8800 per year. German embassies accept several options how you can show your financial status. You may present a bank statement from your bank account or your parents’ account. If you have a scholarship, then submit the confirmation.
How much does the student visa cost?
The costs of the student visa may vary in different countries, but about 60 EUR is to be expected.
When do I have to apply for the student visa?
We recommend to apply early. The documents processing may take 6-8 weeks, so 3 months in advance is a good estimate to start application process. . Even if you do not have the university admission confirmation , you can apply for the student applicant visa and convert it to a residence permit for studying once you are in Germany.